Some quick facts on Autism:
Autism Information proliferates on the web,
but here are some statistics that we've seen recently which you can use in your
fundraising campaign and awareness products:
* 1 in 91 American children has Autism - up from 1 in 150 just a few years ago
* Autism causes are largely not understood, but theories range from birth
defects to genetics.
* Autism usually becomes apparent in the first 2-3 years of a child's life.
Early behavioral and cognitive intervention can help autistic children gain
self-care, social and communication skills
* 1 percent of the population of children in the U.S. ages 3-17 have an autism
* 1 to 1.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder.
* Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability
* $60 billion annual cost
* 60% of costs are in adult services
* Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and
* In 10 years, the annual cost will be $200-400 billion.
* More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes
& cancer combined
* Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent
* Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
* There is no medical detection or cure for autism
Great resources for Autism information:
www.autism-society.org - great resources for
fundraising, parent groups and persons living with autism spectrum disorders.
www.autismspeaks.org - raising money for autism research and awareness
autism.about.com - plain-spoken discussions about all things related to
www.autism-resources.com/ - books, websites, FAQs, parent support, this
basic website has all the resources in one place.